Forget monochrome, forget bold block colors and any other color combo you thought would turn heads, because right now there’s only one color that’s trending. The color – or lack thereof – you need in your wardrobe, in your holiday suitcase, and pretty much everywhere you turn, is white. Let us break it down for you…
It’s no secret that white is always pretty popular around this time of year. It’s when the winter warmers finally get stored away at the back of the closet, and lighter colors and fabrics finally make their entrance as we prepare for the summer. It’s also when we want to channel our inner tennis pros, as Wimbledon always seems to occupy our lives and influence our wardrobe choices. White isn’t just reserved for centre court, y’know.
But we have an extra reason to be obsessed with white this season. An American actress married herself a Prince last month, and the whole world went nuts over it. We are of course talking about the style goddess that is Meghan Markle, or to use her fancy new title, the Duchess of Sussex. Thanks to her breath-taking wedding dresses (both the Givenchy and Stella McCartney ones respectively) the world has been on the lookout for similar items of clothing. White, high necked, long, short, it doesn’t matter – anything that emulates even a fraction of the new Duchess’s wedding look has been flying off the shelves. And given the popularity of new sister-in-law Kate Middleton’s outfits, we aren’t in the least bit surprised.
So, whether you want to do it like a Duchess and channel Meghan, or whether you just want to be on top of the trends, snapping up some en-vogue white pieces is going to be a good move. Plus, white is the simplest and easiest color to accessorize, so investing in some key pieces could potentially last you season after season. And who doesn’t love a hard-working, transitional item of clothing?
Here are a few pieces we are lusting after right now…
- This might be a little bit too risqué for the new Duchess, but we have a feeling that Meghan Markle would have been all over this dress had she not married into the British royal family. This dress keeps it classy with the high neck and midi length, and adds some sexiness with the mesh detailing. Subtly provocative, but always leave them wanting more!
- The perfect dress for a chic, summer gathering. The embroidered detailing gives the piece a soft, romantic touch which puts the dress in a league of its own. Plus, who can resist a playful cold shoulder? This is one white dress that will stand the test of time and see you through many occasions.
- Sneaker-lovers – rejoice, as sports shoes are back with a vengeance. We have the ever-rising athleisure trend to thank for that, as well as the A-list fashionistas we look up to for daily sartorial inspiration. We’ve lost count of the amount of white sneakers the likes of Gigi Hadid, Kate Hudson, Taylor Swift and Miranda Kerr (to name just a few) have been snapped in over the past year alone, which is why we encourage snapping up a pair (or five) of clean white sneakers, starting with these Vans. Your feet and style credentials will thank you for it.
- Trend or no trend, we will always find time and purpose for a white blazer. No wardrobe is complete without a sharp white blazer to throw over literally anything. Smarten up a summer dress with a white blazer, or team it with some bright tailored trousers or boyfriend jeans. The styling possibilities are endless. Splurge on a high-end blazer to add to your staple wardrobe – this Isabel Marant creation will never go out of style!
- Who can really resist a crisp, white shirt? Meghan Markle knew a thing or two about how powerful a chic, simple white shirt could be, as she exuded class at the Invictus Games – i.e. the first time she and boyfriend Prince Harry were pictured together – when she teamed a white shirt with some simple jeans. Well played, Meghan. We love this Victoria, Victoria Beckham shirt thanks to the feminine ruffle sleeves – something a bit different, right?
- Nothing signals the start of summer quite like white trousers. Team yours with a floral, Bardot top to make the most of the summer season. And take your look from day to night by adding some sky scraping stilettos and a seductive black top. We love multi-functional buys!
- Want to jazz up an all-white outfit? When it comes to standing out from the crowd and making a statement, you can’t do much better than heading in the direction of Sophia Webster and her instantly mesmerizing shoe collection. We love the subtle embellished heel detailing on these white shoes – just a splash of color makes the world of difference, and we can’t wait to pair these with a multitude of outfit combinations.
- Nothing offsets a glorious tan quite like white, so why not show off your hard earned color by opting for some all white beachwear? Melissa Obadash is the undisputed queen of beachwear, and this white cover up is proof of just how right she always gets it. Embrace the all white trend and team with a matching white bikini, or break the rules and team with any other color of your choice. We won’t tell!
- We love an investment bag, and we have a feeling that this Binder Clip bag by Off-White will stand the test of time regardless of what the trends dictate season after season. Effortlessly sling it across your body and go about your day in a carefree and trend-driven way; what could be better?
- Time to get a little bit playful with this cute and sassy mini skirt. Play it casual by teaming it with a quirky slogan tee (another hot trend if we do say so ourselves) or mix it up by adding a cropped top and some daring wedges for summertime cocktails with the girls.
Share this Post